Saturday, June 16, 2012

Puffin' away!

My mum has been buying durians back :) almost every day this week.
I am not sure if it is the durian season anymore, as they seem to be available everyday now.

Eating durians is a family affair in my household. We usually lay out some newspapers, and everyone would gather around as my dad tackled the thorny fruits.

I recall how my brother and i used to playfully cheer my dad on whenever he met a particularly stubborn opponent. And all of us waited in anticpation for the grand reveal of the creamy goodness.

But nowadays, it seems like most durians come nicely packed in styrofoam boxes. There is no more durian shell to drink salt water from - this practice supposedly counters the heatiness of the fruit...i do not know if it really works, but i used to always do it after a bout of fresh durians.

Other than fresh durian, my next favourite form of durian must be the durian cream puff. And since there is quite a lot of fresh supplies in my home this week, I just have to try making some ;)

First on the to-do list is to....make durian custard. It's a wonderful (and sinful) concoction of milk, sugar, butter, egg yolk and....the star of the show.


Shrouded in mysterious mist...

And the yummy creamy custard is ready!

Gorgeously yellow in the afternoon sun *contented sigh*

Then it is onto the puff pastry...

Swirls of buttery goodness

And into the oven they go...to become these adorable little puffs!

We really do puff up!

And the last, and the best, step is to fill them up...it's hard to resist not popping them after this :p


No comments:

Post a Comment