Thursday, July 5, 2012

Vintage rose buttercake

I love butter cakes :) they are moist, dense and almost creamy...and I must admit, quite a sinful cake for all its supposed plainness.

They are perfect tea snack and one of my favourite accompaniments to a hot cup of coffee.

People seem to see butter cakes as sort of a plain jane - after all, it is just a mixture of the basic baking ingredients and there you have a plain ol' butter cake.

But when the right ingredients comes together...a butter cake can capture your heart.

I decided to try my hand at making one today just for dad's teatime.
And this butter cake might just be one of those recipes which is a stayer - and for a long time to come :)

Whipped egg whites!

Doesn't this look like a pretty snowy landscape? Looks so smooth and silky...i bet if I could lie on it, it would be so comfortable ;p

After combining with the basic ingredients such as egg yolks, sugar, flour - it is ready to get all warmed up in the oven:

baking in my small, but very very trusty oven :)

I like to sit in front of oven and observe how the cakes change over time - these cakes slowly rose, bit by bit, and even peered out of their round metal containers.

Fresh out from the oven!

The cakes has taken on a delicious-looking shine - golden brown on the outside, and fluffy on the inside.
I took a nibble and the cake was just as i imagined a butter cake would be - moist, rich and full of buttery goodness.

While waiting for the cakes to be done, I whipped up some vanilla buttercream. There it went in between two butter cakes - my favourite kind of tea sandwich ;p


Teatimes always remind me of a vintage lifestyle - complete with pretty tea cups, flowers and all things pastel.

I imagine my girlfriends enjoying tea and pretty cakes in the garden, while basking in the afternoon sun.. I wanted to decorate the cake which would be perfect for such a beautiful scene.



And here it is... with pink and lavendar stripes, and a pink rose right in the middle :)

Bon appeti-tea! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment